Gaming legislation is based on a three-tier framework:
A 'Parent' on 'enabling' Act is at first level: (Lotteries and Other Games Act, 2001)
- Passed through parliament;
- Regulates all forms of gaming in Malta;
- Establishes the regulatory authority;
- Establishes the fundamental principles of gaming;
- Establishes the general principles of specific sectors of gaming.
The Second tier: 'Regulations':
- Published by Legal Notice following assent by the Minister of Finance;
- Outline requirements for granting of licences;
- Relate to specific sectors of gaming.
Third tier is made up of Technical specifications
- Detailed requirements of the procedures, technical systems, application for every specific method of carrying the game.
- Updated by the Authority in form of directives